Baking with Aber Falls: Orange Marmalade Gin Drizzle Cake
During this Welsh lockdown, Ruth Cox one of our tour guides at Aber has been busy using furlough to her advantage. She has created some yummy recipes that you can all try at home using our range of gin and liqueurs.
If you’re missing bake off and love your gin and drizzles.. Ruth has created an Orange Marmalade Gin drizzle cake using our own award winning Orange Marmalade Gin! For this twist on a lemon drizzle, Ruth has shared the recipe and here’s how you can make it yourself….
Ingredients, what you will need;
- 175g unsalted butter- soft
- 250g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 100ml milk
- Zest from 2 medium oranges
- 250g self raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 5cl bottle orange marmalade gin
- 100g caster sugar
- Juice and zest from 2 medium oranges
- Preheat oven 180C or gas mark 4
Step by step method;
- Preheat your oven to 180C or gas mark 4 and line the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- To make the sponge, place the butter in a mixing bowl or food mixer if you have one. Next, add the sugar, eggs, milk and grated orange zest. Mix these ingredients until smooth.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix this again until you have a smooth and creamy cake mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a lined cake tin and cook in middle of oven for 55-60 minutes. You can check your cake is cooked by inserting a knife into the centre. If it comes out clean its cooked, with mixture and it may need longer.
- Whilst it’s in oven, this is a good time to make the drizzle. Place the orange zest, juice and sugar in a bowl and stir until thick. Add as much of the orange marmalade gin at end as you like. I used half a bottle of 5CL in mine equalling a single shot of gin.
- Once your sponge is baked, place it on a wire tray to cool. Using a clean knife, you should now prick many holes all over the top of the sponge. Pour the drizzle over the sponge and use the back of a sponge to push it into the holes.
- Leave to cool.
- Once cooled, slice accordingly and tuck in! Tea and cake? Gin and cake? Either or but in this case, lucky for you, both options include gin.
If you need the key ingredient, our Orange Marmalade gin is available for nationwide delivery on our website; you’ll be ready to bake away in no time. Shop now: https://www.aberfallsdistillery.com/en/product/orange-marmalade-gin/
We would love to see the outcome of your Orange Marmalade drizzle cakes and hear your feedback! Email firstname.lastname@example.org pictures of your cake, or tag us on social media.
Ruth is currently working on a Salted Toffee Liqueur and Apple cake recipe which will be coming soon next month.