Baking with Aber Falls: Salted Toffee & Apple Sponge Cake
Baking with Abers Gins and Liqueurs!
Ruth is at it again! This time she has created a yummy looking Salted Toffee and Apple sponge cake. Take a look at the recipe below, get baking and let us know what you think.
Ingredients, what you will need;
3 Bramley apples (550g)
2 Large Eggs beaten
75g soft butter
175g Light brown soft sugar
Grated zest of 1 large orange
1 tbsp of chopped mixed peel
1 tbsp milk
1 5CL bottle of Aber Falls Salted Toffee Liqueur
85g caster sugar
225g self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground cinnamon
A bread loaf tin
Preheat oven 180C or gas mark 4
Step by step method;
- Preheat your oven to 180C or gas mark 4 and line the cake tin with greaseproof paper.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder & spices into a mixing bowl.
- Peel the apples. Cut into halves and remove the core and pips. Chop these into small pieces and place in medium sized mixing bowl. Cover the apples in 1 tbsp of the four mix (flours, baking powder and spices out of the other bowl).
- Add in the eggs, butter and sugar using an electric hand whisk if you have one or a food processor to combine all ingredients together until the mixture has a smooth, creamy consistency.
- Fold in the grated orange zest, mixed peel and diced orange.
- If you feel the mixture is slightly too dry add a few drops of milk.
- Carefully transfer the mixture into a lined cake tin. Bake in the centre of the oven for about an hour checking every 10 minutes until the cake feels springy in the centre. Use a spiked tool to pierce centre of the cake. When pulled out if the mixture is still wet leave the cake in a little bit longer until cooked.
- While the cake is still warm, pierce the top with a knife and pour as much as the salted toffee liqueur as you like over the cake.
- In a bowl add 85g caster sugar with the left over salted toffee and mix well. Pour this over the top of the cake and spread evenly. Leave this to set and you have your Salted Toffee and Apple Cake!
If you need the key ingredient, our Salted Toffee Liqueur is available in a 70CL measure or a 5CL measure for nationwide delivery on our website; you’ll be ready to bake away in no time;
We would love to see the outcome of your Salted Toffee Liqueur & Apple cake and hear your feedback! Email firstname.lastname@example.org pictures of your cake, or tag us on social media.
If you come up with any amazing recipes using our products please let us know, we’d be interested to hear them!